Challenges at home and in school

      "We moved out to Benson and Benson was very challenging. Benson was a small community and it didn’t matter if you had been there one year or 10 years you were the newcomer, we just never -- I never felt like our family fit in there. There were some really nice people there, but there were other people because we weren’t from this family or this family or that family, we were always the new people. It was challenging, it was just challenging, it was difficult. I know it was hard for some of my brothers and sisters to make friends out there -- it was just not easy. Fortunately I had a couple of friends –two friends from band lived out there they just befriended me and took me in they knew how difficult it was moving into this little town that was very cliquish and kind of looked down their noses at us because we were new in town. We lived there for about four years until we - my mom and dad had to sell the place. I lived there for one year when I was a senior in high school and then I graduated. I had grand ideas about going down to Dixie college and a friend of mine in the other ward was trying to talk me into going down to Dixie College. It sounded fun but I found I couldn’t afford to do that, my parents were always really, really tight on money and there was no way that they could afford to do that either. So I just applied to Utah State and went up there to college, and oh my gosh, what a huge blessing it was, I had no idea what I was getting into - that it was going to be such a great fit for me-but that’s getting ahead of the story."

      "When I graduated from Skyview high school I graduated 10thin my class in about 535 students. And that was basically because I never took any challenging classes and school was easy for me and I didn’t have to study a whole lot and I had orchestra and band and seminary all the time. I was a good student and hard working but I had no study skills whatsoever. School had always come very easy for me I was a good test taker and it was easy. I graduated from there and I applied to Utah State and I got an academic scholarship to Utah State. I thought that’s great!  I headed up to Utah State the next fall.  For some reason I decided I wanted to major in Food Science and Nutrition. I decided that was what I was going to major in so I took beginning biology class, beginning chemistry class, and intro to nutrition and food science and marching band. Well I did great in the marching band but in the chemistry and the biology classes I got C’s in both of them, which is average. In college they actually give you the grade that you deserve, and I had no study skills whatsoever I was totally out of my league with all these science classes. I am not a science(y) type of person and I was totally lost. I lost my academic scholarship and I was devastated so I dropped out of college." Lisa discovered what many, many other freshmen have found. High School and University work are two very different things.

She was playing in the band and working at the University. "Well bless their hearts my parents knew I just needed to learn to find my way. I had been in the marching band that had been a great experience. I had played cymbals, as you couldn’t march with a bass clarinet- so I was playing cymbals and had loads of fun. I was in the percussion block and there were 20 percussionists for the band and there were about 100 other marchers that were marching, and so I’d had a great time and great experience. I had gotten myself a job with the vending services there on campus and I continued to work the job the next semester in January. I wasn’t going to school but I was working as many hours as I could for the vending services and I knew that I needed more work too so that I could pay for college the fall because I knew that I was going to be going back to college I just need to figure out what I wanted to do. I worked for vending services and then my mom was helping me look around and I got a job working at Yellowstone Park."

Comments

Popular Posts