Stake Calling in Relief Society and a baby boy!

     "Several years later when I was released from the Relief Society that I was actually pregnant with Eric at the time – we didn’t know it was Eric yet – I was pregnant for the third time and I was released from the ward Relief Society and was called as a counselor in the Stake Relief Society presidency. 
     With Glenna Phillips and Linda Doll as the education counselor and I was the homemaking counselor and then Adriana---I can’t remember her name she was the secretary for a while and then another wonderful lady was the secretary after that. It was a great experience.
       "Great experience, I learned a lot working with Glenna. Kind of a different situation, Glenna was married but did not have any children and I had these little children I was taking care of, so it was very challenging for me to be getting to stake meetings and visiting wards and for ward conferences. Ralph was on the High Council at the time so it was a challenging year and I learned a lot about myself and working with others and how we all have different strikes that we bring to the table. 
     "I finished out Relief Society there, I was in the Relief Society for a while and Eric was born. He was July 25th1995 and how happy we were to have a boy. He was – Amy was five years old at this point, and Kristy was three years old at this point, so there’s a three year span between them and so here we were with these beautiful children. Life was good. Life was very good.


     "We continued to live there in the Concord Third ward for a couple of more years after that, Eric was going to be three when we finally moved over to the Clayton Valley First ward.
       "Amy started school when Eric was first born, she started school at Hollbrook Elementary School, which was just down the street from us, so I’d just walk down (put the kids in the strollers) and walk her down to school. 
     "John Gallenball was her teacher and oh my goodness, what a great experience that was! That’s when we changed our lives at that point because up until then we didn’t always have the super strict schedule, we’d just get up – hey let’s have some breakfast, oh let's get dressed, oh lets read 10 books before we have breakfast or whatever. Then we start elementary school and so even though we’d had pre-school and had a bit of a structure with playgroups, but then it didn’t really kick in with the strict schedule until the kids get to school. 
     "Fortunately Amy was a late bird and so that worked really, really well for us. Actually, nope, she was an Early Friend – I remember that was the other kids that were late birds- so that worked well for us, I have always been an early riser so not a problem. We’d already established at this point in our lives, we’d already established a big foundation of reading books at our house. Those early years I bought a lot of books for our kids because that was something I felt so strongly about."
     Lisa recalls her experience as a 12-year-old far away from her family while getting braces on in Idaho Falls living with the dentist and his wife for two weeks. The magic of listening to the mom read to her children every afternoon, stayed with Lisa and the need to read to her children.
 "I decided that when I was a mom I was going to read to my children." So we had already established a habit of reading lots of stories. I would read to Amy and Kristy every night before they would go to bed, we would read stories at bedtime, read stories in the afternoon before nap time and read stories whenever anybody wanted a book and so they would be in the habit of looking at books a lot.  
     "We had already established that habit and so when they get into school and they’re saying you have to read so many books and or have them read to you that was never a problem. That was something that was established early we didn’t have the TV on very much, we just spend a lot of time reading books and that was great. 
     "We had Amy, we had Kristy, Eric was born, Amy started school and so for the next two years, she is going to school. Kristy has now started pre-school and she down at the Baldwin Park pre-school with Mrs. Karen just like Amy had done and the next year Kristy was in her second year of pre-school and Amy was in First grade with Miss Deloran in a combo 1-2 class. 
      "It was great and Eric was just growing and having fun and we were enjoying our family of three children and we were serving in the church and for a while there I was the activity person for the ward the activity chairman and not my favorite calling, I’d much rather teach Primary or my favorite calling of all time Primary Music chorister – and I got to do that in   [tape cuts off:( ]

Comments

Popular Posts