First House, First Baby, New Friends

     "We were getting to know people in our ward, getting to know each other and after 8 or 9 months after living there [apartment in Pleasant Hill], Ralph decided – he had been for working several years, he had been living very frugally – and he decided it was time for us to buy our first little house.  We got married in 1988, so March of 1989 we moved into our first little home – first little house. 3379 Moretti Drive in Concord and we were in the Concord Third ward. The original plan was that we were going to live there for nine years. We ended up sorry oops, the original time was five years and we ended up living there nine years. 1136 square feet, it was little, 4-bedroom place, 4 bedroom 2 bath place, really quite small. No family room just a living room a teeny dinning area and a little kitchen and a little yard – it was ours and we loved it. One of the bedrooms had been converted into a laundry room - which was fabulous. 
     "For the first little while we didn’t have a washer and dryer but then when we got pregnant with Amy I told Ralph, “I’m not doing the laundry matt with a baby routine. “ So we were able to eventually get a washer and dryer right before Amy was born.  So we moved in there March of 1989 and almost – within two months we were pregnant. We didn’t find out what we were going to have. But on February 8thof 1990 six days late, we had Amy Suzanne Lambert. It was a surprise we were having a girl and we were thrilled. Just thrilled! 8 lbs 1 oz. and a beautiful little girl and we were so happy to be parents. 
     "That is something that I had looked forward too and when I had gone on maternity leave from the Bank of America, I told them I was just going on maternity leave and I didn’t have to make any decisions right away and I remember about six weeks after Amy was born they were calling on the phone and saying, “We need to know if you are coming back or not.” I remember just crying to Ralph and saying, “I can’t leave her!” and he said, “You don’t have too, that was part of the plan.” We bought the house based on just his income because we knew I wanted to stay home and be a mom. We were able to do that because he had a good job, [we were careful] that I was able to stay home and be a mom and take care of Amy. It was a great day when I became a mom. It was actually fulfilling a prophecy in my patriarchal blessing that said it would be a great day when I became a mother in Zion. It was something that I had looked forward to for years. I was thrilled at 30 to finally be a mom. 
     "Oh my goodness, we enjoyed Amy immensely. Kind of a fussy baby sometimes. Ralph couldn’t always get her to calm down.  He would try really, really hard.  She just really liked her mom, so it was a bit challenging for the first year until she finally got her out of a bottle and then it was a little easier. She was blonde haired blue eyed and just delightful. I’m not going to go into a lot of detail on each of the children. But just know that we enjoyed her immensely. Life was good. Life was very, very good. 
     "When we first moved into the Concord Third ward, the first Sunday there, a lady by the name of Andrea Politis came up to me and said she was the choir director and had heard me singing and would I please come sing in the choir.  So I said of course I could do that, that’s one thing I do, so I joined the ward choir. Over the years I’ve been a choir director several times in that ward and several times in Clayton Valley first ward and it’s a calling I enjoy. So I sang in the choir. I was called almost immediately to be the pianist for the Primary. The Primary president was Jackie Hayes, she didn’t even know if I played the piano or not, but she just looked at me and thought I looked like a piano player.  She submitted my name to be called as the pianist for Primary. It was great! I loved playing for Primary, I did that for probably – several months until another person I had met that first Sunday was a girl by the name of Diedra Rader. 
     "The reason why I remember her first off was because she was so classy looking. She wore a hat to church, which I thought was way cool. I’m not much of a hat person myself, I thought that was cool that she wore a hat. She and her husband Jeff were in the ward and had been married uhmmm three or four years, they didn’t have any kids yet but some months after we were in the ward she was called as the Young Women’s president and I was called as her first counselor. Thus began my friendship with Diedra Radar and to this day she is one of my dearest friends."

Comments

Popular Posts