Kindness of Others

     "There were some people who had been so helpful and kind that had set up this routine in the ward where – when I was going through chemo – that on the day of chemo they would bring in food two days later and two day after that. When we hit the five day mark then I was good. Usually when people brought things there were enough for two days and so we would have three days of food, every other day after each chemo. 
     "And then bless her heart I had this wonderful neighbor across the street on the corner, Kathy and John Parisitch – and Kathy was devastated when she found out I had cancer and she has one boy that’s Eric’s age. She had had many, many miscarriages. They wanted to have a big family and it just not to be. She thought they were a great Catholic family and she thought it was wonderful that we were this great Mormon family that had lots of children and she decided that she was going to bring in dinner every Sunday while I was going through chemo – while I was going through this. 
     "It didn’t stop until I told her, “Kathy, we’re good. Thank you so much. You have just been an angel.” And she didn’t just bring over a casserole, she brought pot roast and pork roast and just these big huge things of meat that Eric was in heaven about because Eric’s my meat and potatoes guy. We’d eat on it for a couple of days and bless her heart she was just so kind to do that. She would always check up on me, “How are you doing?’ 
     "A lot of people from the ward, “How can I help?” We were constantly in their prayers for years and constantly checking on me and I felt the faith and the prayers of the ward and hard work was what got us through that first year. What a huge blessing, what a huge, huge blessing. Lots of notes and cards from people. I remember JoAnn Magleby said, “I’m busy teaching school and I don’t have time to bring over a meal but I can send a funny card.” So she did. She went to the store and bought all these funny note cards and would send them every other week to me, and it was just – so many people wrote letters and dropped by and sent me flowers and just wanted to brighten the day and just the outpouring of love was wonderful. It felt like the teachers of Mountain View went out of there way to watch over Kylie and Eric and just to be there and to be helpful and to take care of my kids because they knew I couldn’t give them 100% because I was trying so hard to work on fighting cancer."

Comments

Popular Posts